Monday, January 25, 2010

Almost there.......


Hello again from the world's largest and deepest ocean.

Did you know that if all the worlds continents were placed together like in a jigsaw puzzle, they could fit onto the Pacific Ocean.



 

Some updates for Day 7:  
It's finally been a week and in 
a few hours we will be in Hawaii !
 



LAT 19° 52.8 min North of the equator
LON 154 ° 18.6 min west of prime meridian 
COURSE: 273°
SPEED: 11.2 knots
DISTANCE:
WATER Usage as of 1/22/10: 308 liters per person
Sea Depth: 5000 meters
Sea Water Temperature: 23 Celsius° (73° F)
Air Temperature: 22° Celsius (72° F)

 

Well I am guessing that you have heard all about the rain storm that we just by-passed? Well... we are like in outer space right now, so we know nothing about that is going on in the outside world. But I'm guessing that  it destroyed California! This storm (from what we hear) is like the biggest one since they started recording the weather. We are in the clear now, but are lucky that the Captain rerouted us to avoid going through it.  

In other news, we played the "Name Game" the other night. It was great..., we got name tags and met a ton of people. At the end they had a competition to find out who knew the most names, the winner won a $50 credit for the spa. I was one of the 15 people they had to name and every one of them knew my name... so I got that's going for me! My buddy Stephen won.  

As I was telling you all earlier, I signed up for many various organizations, well I just found out that I was selected to be on the Sea Council. This entails weekly meetings with all the Deans to discuss what needs to be changed. Conducting "rumor control" is huge, the boat always has crazy rumors flying around. One of our jobs is to get trip and school info directly from the Deans and then pass it along to the shipboard community.  

I had dinner with my Business Professor today! He is a Brit. and we had an interesting in depth convo on the international market. I am starting to have meetings like this most nights, mostly for the clubs I have joined as well as to facilitate all of the group projects that we have to complete by the end of the semester. Everyone is trying to get things started up before we have a week off while on break in the beautiful Hawaiian Islands. 

Today some of my friends and I had a planning session on what stuff to do in Japan. We have two nights in Tokyo to fill up.  Some of the events on our must do list are Sumo Wrestling, a Baseball game and touring the Imperial Palace. While we're in Kobe we are going to consume copious amounts of Kobe Beef - delicious!!!!

We are officially on Hawaiian time so if you want to call me this week, plan accordingly we are minus 5 hours. I will have regular cell service while in Hawaii so shoot me a text or call!

Here is a list of my trips for Hilo on the "Big Island". After which I plan on hitting the beach scene.

HIL07 Hawaiian Lu'au Experience - 4:30pm Monday
HIL14 Volcanoes National Park - 9:00am Tuesday


Well we're getting into Hawaii in a few hours and I have to go through Customs at 6am, so I better get some sleep! My pictures should be up sometime soon. Whenever I can find some WiFi……. talk to you soon!




"Ua Mau Ke 'Ea O Ka 'Aina i Ka Pono"
The Life of the Land is Perpetuated in Righteousness.
- Kamehameha III




Nicholas Alan Tomkins
Semester at Sea
Spring 2010
1/17/2010 - 5/5/2010


Check out our current position or other info about my voyage:

No comments:

Post a Comment