Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Oh the drudgery of being ship bound...

 

Hello All ! 
 
As you may know, we have been on the ship for about 8 days now. And believe me the days have been jam-packed with craziness.  I'm talking super fun mixed with a bunch of miserable, topped off with very rewarding. And actually it all
just flew by!  

I was sick for a couple days, but am feeling much better now thank you. We had our Sea Olympics, which went off perfectly. I have watched a lot of movies, read some books and found some time to just relax a bit. On Monday (3/8), I got my badly needed post Olympics massage.(hahaha).  The change to a warmer climate makes slack time on the ship seem a bit unreal. Everyone goes out on deck after and between classes to tan and/or swim. It's CRAZY too think we are at school on a cruise ship. (LOL). Most everyone is busy with their school work and extra curricular activities, but they all  seem to find time to relax and catch some rays.
 
Here's an example of my typical day at sea:   
Wake up at 11:30 and go to dining room to work on my Communications homework. Meet up with friends at noon for lunch. Go to
Communications Class at 1230, Global Studies at 1400, after which I get a burger by the pool, relax, read and swim, not necessarily in that order. At 1700 ish (depending on the day), we play some V-ball, then go to dinner followed by the nightly Explorer’s seminar and then hang loose for rest of the night. Now that I am not jammed packed with meetings for the Sea Olympics, I have a lot more down time. So to keep busy I'm getting involved in the Shipboard Drive. We are raising monies through different events for a number of worthwhile SAS charities 

 This morning we turned off all our engines for 4 hours and just drifted in the Bay of Bengal. Floating towards India was an incredible view as we watched the crimson sun rise in the sky…absolutely beautiful..., or so I'm told…, I wasn’t quite up out of bed yet (LOL). 
 
We get to India in a few hours, and I have a jam packed 6 days of touring. I am anticipating seeing a very different and interesting
culture and country. I get one day in Chennai to just walk around and explore. At  3:45am on day 2,  I leave for my 3 day SAS trip to the Taj Mahal!  A day and a half spent in Cochin before our departure on the 16th. That’s India in a nutshell. I am still working on my China and Vietnam blog posts…. so after India I'm going to be pumping them all out…, I hope. 

Nicholas Alan Tomkins
Semester at Sea
Spring 2010
1/17/2010 - 5/5/2010
  
 

Check out our current position or other info about my voyage:
http://www.semesteratsea.org/current-voyage/overview/
  
Email me at Nicholas.a.tomkins@gmail.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment