Monday, March 8, 2010

Spring 2010 ~ Sea Olympics




As of the halfway mark, the RED SEA (my floor) is in 2nd place! Our Tug of War victory has given us a slight edge over the Med Sea for the 2nd place spot.  We owned the Tug, My buddy Gram (another big guy) and I just anchored down and demolished the competition!  Sooo much fun and everything is running smoothly. I am running around (with a walkie-talkie) making sure it runs smoothly. I will update after the closing ceremonies.


Well..., we were victorious! 
It came down to the end, we were in second place on the leader board going into the closing ceremony.The outcome of the last four events was kept a secret, even from me! So that made it even more crazy when we won. I put so much work into the Olympics and everything ran very smoothly. It was an absolutely amazing day.  I got to announce the awarding of the medals for the team banner contest during the ceremony so that was pretty cool as well as I  emceed a few events and carried the "Torch" to start the Olympics in the Opening Ceremony. Man what a day!




 



DEANS MEMO
Monday, March 8, 2010
 
BRAVO!

Yesterday’s Sea Olympics were outstanding! Congratulations to the Red Sea -- you will be

the first sea off the ship in Florida. From the whole shipboard community: Thank you,

Stacey Steinbach, the Olympics Committee Chairs of Amy Bishop, Lauren Brock, Juliana Falls,

Nick Tomkins, and everyone who had a role in making this year’s Olympics such a

tremendous success. Spring 2010 rocks!

~ The Dean ~

The Olympic Chairs

Below is the The Email Our LLC (our version of an RA) wrote to us: 

From: Janelle Rahyns at Semester at sea
Sent: Sun 3/7/2010 1:49 PM
Subject: Great Job Red Sea Olympians!!


Greetings Champions!
 

I want to first say how proud I am of each and every one of you today! You all did an amazing job during our Sea Olympics, whether singing, dancing, or crawling - you each gave 110% representing the Red Sea. You may have realized that we are at the halfway point in our voyage and I hope that today you have truly made amazing friends and built great community throughout our Sea. Overall, Semester at Sea is an amazing life-changing experience, a true voyage of discovery, and many alumni fondly remember that the Sea Olympics was one of the highlights of their voyage. I have to say that as the winners of the GOLD! I hope that today becomes one of your SAS highlights as it is mine. I want to specifically give props to our Sea Captains, Connor and David for leading us to victory! I also want to thank those of you who created and participated in events making way for the Red Sea to be the best, expessially Nick Tomkins and Lauren Brock our resident Olympic Chairs! Throughout the remainder of the voyage, and for years to come, I would like you all to remember our Sea and how we were unified today for excellence. We all came together for a common goal - VICTORY, and blew it out of the water. Thanks to you all for making today for me very special. We will have a victory celebration after our Indian Port. Be on the lookout for the date and time.
 

Our Team is R.E.D. H.O.T. Red Hot!

 

Janelle Nicole Rahyns
Living Learning Coordinator
Leadership: Red Sea

No comments:

Post a Comment